Thursday, September 01, 2005

Oh, Death, where is thy sting?


I am so angry right now, so please be gracious if I say anything that I don't put into exactly the right words. I am watching the news and noticing that the only people that seem to be left in New Orleans or Biloxi are those who were unable to get out (i.e the poor and elderly and those in hospitals, etc). What is making me angry is hearing people say "Well, they should have left, they told them to evacuate." Now, while that is true... the government did tell them to evacuate, I did not hear of the government providing any WAY for them to. Poor people don't generally have cars, much less have money for the expensive gas. And where would they go if they did? Also, people in nursing homes may not be mentally sound enough to evacuate. The vulnerable, the people who depend on others to get out; they were left there. And what is even worse, no one seems to be in a great hurry to help. Is it because they are poor? Are they not worth the same as a rich person? One guy on CNN said he gotten out because he had an SUV and went to go find his pets!! HIS PETS!! While I love animals, there are people suffering and he risks his life to get his PETS! What is wrong with us? God, please have mercy on us. We do not know what we are doing!

I also heard that anarchy has broken out because there is no law enforcement in these concentrated areas of trapped people. Little 10 year old girls are being raped, snipers are shooting at people who are trying to get in to help, looters are taking over! It seems there is a lot of talking on the air about what FEMA and the government are GOING to do, but the people there have not SEEN anything yet. Why can't helicopters just keep making repeat trips to get people out of there? Obviously some people in their comfy SUV's are able to make it in and out. Why couldn't they take a few folks with them?

One report I read said that a lady went up to a police officer and he said "Go to hell, it's every man for himself out here."

It's just awful and I feel so helpless. I have prayed. But should I be down there with the Red Cross helping get people out? I feel like I am just talking and watching TV while people are suffering. I hate this! God, please show us each individually how we can help or what we need to do. More than anything, let us all remember that the worst thing is not that people are dying. Death has lost it's sting because of Christ. The worst thing is some people are dying without knowing Christ... that is the greatest tragedy.

"O death where is thy sting?" No where, cause Christ kicked your ass!! Please forgive the language, I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo mad right now.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Concerning your last two paragraphs......Ditto.

I want to help them out and I have enough anger to cause harm to stop the snipers and ones who do evil in the worst of times.

The scary thought of the day is when I read a headline referring this to Armegeddon. If this is how we are, how the human race is....I am scared. This may be a glimpse of who man really is. It frightens and angers me both.

And the only hope that I can cling onto is that God is working in the midst of it all, and people are trusting him and carrying out his will.

8:20 PM

 
Blogger L. Eubanks said...

GLad to know I'm not alone in this. Jay feels the same way.

1:40 PM

 
Blogger A Flowered Purse said...

its so sad Lindsay and you have every right to be angry. Its going on less than 12 hrs from here. Thats the scary part. We are all this close, yet what can you do.
The people shooting and looters. One thing no one has brung up is New Orleans, had a high drug traffic rate, there are probably thousands of drug users without a way to get high and people who are coming off of drugs can be extremely violent. I noticed the news said hospitals are being looted and no one could understand why......well there are drugs there. I think that has alot to do with the shooting. Plus you get individuals in there starving to death and watching their family members die, tempers are going to flare and rightfully so. Its so sad and all we can do is give what we can and pray. Its a very sad situation and I hope America realizes money doesn't make you immune to disasters. We all should help one another.
Take care and enjoy your holiday weekend
Love ya
Dianna

7:14 AM

 
Blogger Christa said...

I didn't realize how bad things were over there. Since we don't get much American news over here we're kind of disconnected. I'm glad that I'm friends with such a passionate person who has such a heart for people. :)

1:42 AM

 
Blogger L. Eubanks said...

Thanks Dianna for that insight. I never thought about some of those aspects. Thanks for the encouragment everyone.

6:16 AM

 
Blogger Bobby said...

I didn't realize about the drug situation. That makes sense.

Good comments. This whole situation is frustrating.

10:16 AM

 
Blogger Lorie said...

Lindsay, you're right. This situation is both scary and frustrating. What angers me is that everyone is looking for someone else to blame! The local and state governments (as well as the media and so many others) are blaming the Bush administration. The poor are blaming the rich. The blacks are blaming the whites. It's SO, SO ugly. Like you said, may God have mercy on us all.

The reality is that nobody (apparently) expected that something of this magnitude would ever really happen and so, regardless of why, no one was prepared. Even though money had been invested, including significant investment by the national government, in safety measures, it wasn't enough. Even though some transportation was supposedly provided by the city (while hundreds of buses were not even called on by the mayor), it wasn't enough. Even though there were helicopters flying over the city for hours upon hours doing rescue ops, it wasn't enough for the sheer numbers that needed help.

There was a lot of failure and shock in this situation---on all sides. But instead of people worrying about figuring out who to blame, I wish they would come together and focus on helping the victims and making wise decisions about what to do next. Individual people, groups, churches, towns, states are coming together, but the media and the rights groups are showing their asses and only making the situation worse when they try to pick a scapegoat.

My heart goes out to the victims. I canNOT fathom what it would be like to be in their shoes. My heart goes out to the local police and firefighters there---most likely desperate to help but in such a state of shock and surrounded by so much chaos that they feel insignificant and helpless (enough to commit suicide).

6:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home