Sunday, September 18, 2005

The Shadow Proves The Sunshine


I had the stomach virus recently and it was very eye opening. I really am such a baby! It was just awful and I sure let everyone know about it too (everyone being my husband). And he is so gracious and sweet. When I would whine, he'd rub my back. When I would be demanding, he would go to the store and get me popsicles and ginger ale. He is the most laid back person I know (which is partly why I love him so much). But, his grace and gentleness just emphasized my self pity. I was so sick. I was begging God to help me and then getting mad when He wouldn't magically cure me immediately. It took hearing about a friend of a friends story to help snap me out of some of my 'poor me' mind set. Not that what I was feeling wasn't real and shouldn't be validated, because it should. God cares about every little detail of my life and is comforting to anyone - regardless of the degree of severity of the situation. Nonetheless, I was still reminded of my own self-centeredness and how I thought the world was going to end because I had becomes sick (can you hear a little control freak in there somewhere?) I heard that a friend not only was pregnant again (so she has regular DAYS of sickness), but that also had breast cancer!! So, she has to have one of her breasts removed while she is pregnant and then immediately after the baby is born, she has to start chemo and lose all her hair. She is also raising a toddler and they just moved to a city where they don't know many folks. It's just awful. I feel so bad for complaining about my bout with a stomach bug. It makes me wonder why God allows things like that to happen, especially to those who have made the decision to follow Him. But then I am reminded of scripture and how it not only doesn't promise skies always blue, but it actually says that being a follower of Christ is very difficult. It says you have to "pick up your cross daily." So, I guess the point is that I don't know why God allows things bad to happen. All I do know that when evil or unfortunate things happen, there is no question about the existence of it. I guess the same can be said of God and His goodness. The shadow proves the sunshine.

3 Comments:

Blogger A Flowered Purse said...

Oh no Lindsay :( I hope you are feeling better :(
Stomach viruses are the total worst for sure.
Thats so sweet of Jay to take care of you. I will keep your friend in my prayers. How very very sad :(
Hugs and lots of love
Dianna

9:18 AM

 
Blogger Brittany said...

Hey girl! I'm so sorry to hear you were sick--I didn't even know :( But I have to know, did you get your blog title from the Switchfoot song? That's one of my favorites from the new CD. Lookin' forward to hanging out this weekend!

2:52 PM

 
Blogger L. Eubanks said...

I am feeling much better! Thanks for thinking of me and for my friend. She really needs the encouragement of knowing people all over are praying for her. It comforts her very much.

Britt- I totally am looking forward to this weekend! And Yes, that is my fave Switchfoot song on that album. Glad to know we have similar tastes!

11:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home