Monday, June 26, 2006

Picking weeds and sowing seeds......



Well......

I had a little stomach bug this weekend..yuck!

Jay took very good care of me. He got me flowers and a card and made me breakfast once I could eat again. :) He also rubbed my back and my head when it hurt and tried to hold my hair back while I was huggin' the bowl. He is God's gift to me!

Still no walls in our bathroom downstairs.. but the contractor says this week sometime. Pray for that one!

Met some of my new and not so new neighbors this week. Took some cookies to them to say welcome to the neighborhood. They really seemed appreciative and SHOCKED! One lady said "Hmm. I never had a good neighbor before!"

I also walked down and met some of our neighbors who we think know Christ and have four little girls. They are awesome. They have lived here for 11 years and know the low down on all the neighbors.

The young girl next to us who we talk to the most (and her kiddos) has been fun to hang out with lately. The kids are so funny. They come knocking on our door, when they know that their momma has told them not to. Then they run back on their porches and hope we come out. It's so funny. I used to do that to my old neighbor too! I would run to see if her car was in the drive way and then I would go back to my porch and just look pitiful until she invited me over (ollie). Funny how things come full circle.

Anyway, the kids are wonderful and so is the mom. J cuts her grass for her because she obviously doesn't have the time or energy to because of the three kids and her recent surgery. She is very appreciative. But even if she wasn't that is not why we do it. We don't want recognition or praise. We just want to show others what being a good neighbor might look like. That is the only reason that I even mention it.. is to give others ideas about how they might reach out in their community. I do not want any praise for being a good neighbor. It's what we are supposed to be.. it's not anything worth getting a cookie for! I hope no one thinks I am looking for a pat on the back my writing this. If that is the case, I apologize. I am sure somewhere down in my sinner's heart.. there is some ego that wants to surface. I pray it stays way down there and out of the way. I need others to pray for that as well. It's so easy to make it all about us so quickly before we even realize it.

Anyway again,

Activity is getting busier around our block.. if you know what I mean. More cop cars, more people out and about. But that also means more time to meet neighbors and play with the kids (and keep an eye on them)

I must admit that I get sad when I go to 'nicer' neigborhoods that have pretty trees and manicured yards and people able to pull up their weeds without getting stared down or yelled at. I can't do that anymore at our house right now. Jay and I have to cut the grass together -to keep an eye on each other. That is the thing I miss the most right now.. being outside in the yard and doing regular things that people in 'good' neighborhoods don't necessarily always have to worry about. But I am going to try to make our house as pretty as possible, so that at least there can be some beautiful flowers or something on a block covered with beer cans and trash in the street.

God makes all things new. And if that is all I have to sacrifice then I am getting off easy. I know friends who don't even have electricity every day of the week where they are (Africa). It's all relative.

3 Comments:

Blogger Hilary Noltemeyer said...

We had so much fun seeing you guys tonight. Like I have said before- we love your hearts and pray for you and your neighborhood. I know God has out you there for a reason and all the setbacks and problems you have had are Satan at work. Have faith my friend, God is good and remember "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."

8:23 PM

 
Blogger The Curl said...

Thanks for the house and neighborhood update. I know, as a mom, I know what you mean about the sad part- that has been sometimes difficult for me to watch- and MY will wants to take over, but hearing your stories of your neighbors and seeing your and J's faith in action and putting everything in its perspective, I know it is Satan's attack on my mind sometimes. I think we as humans (especially mom humans ha ha) forget what a privilege it is for our children to be used to serve God, whether its moving to an inner city neighborhood or taking care of our families in love, the families God has blessed us with-and the cool part is being blessed by people living anywhere we live, if we just open our doors and our hearts. Its not a one-way street. It all requires an unconditional loving action on our part. I love hearing your stories. I think the setbacks have been purposeful on the evil one's part and has required daily faith and daily prayer. I honestly go between being proud and honored that God has chosen you and J for this to "why them, isn't there another way ?" Sound familiar? I have to trust God and so far He has been faithful, more than that!! I'm not trying to make this about me, but to offer a parent's perspective for any of our children that follow a path that we might not at first, or ever,understand and to trust God anyway. I love hearing the stories, your not bragging, its sharing and I for one need that. Thank you and I love you!

10:00 AM

 
Blogger A Flowered Purse said...

But you know linney, if you start planting flowers and making your yard look nicer, then others catch on. They really really do. Maybe if someone sees that you care, they will care. One house at a time :) Try it!!!!! I think it's so nice of you to help that mom out. I have been there many of time and had no absolutely no one at all to help me out. So i can tell you from first hand experience, that she appreciates it more than you know!!!
Take care and plant some flowers! if you want any monkey grass we have a bunch i can share with you!!!
Love
di

5:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home